Looking to set up a Self-Directed Precious Metals IRA? Well, not all gold, silver, platinum, and palladium bullion are approved for an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). The IRS only approved certain gold, silver, platinum, and palladium bars and coin types. Below you’ll find a list of the IRA approved bullion that can be purchased for a Precious Metals IRA account.
Click on the image to enlarge IRA approved precious metals list.
IRA Approved Precious Metals
IRA Approved Gold Bullion
- American Eagle Gold Coins
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget Coins
- Austrian Philharmonic Coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf Gold Coins
- Chinese Gold Panda Coins
- Britannia Gold Coins (.9999 Gold Britannia Coins Only)
- Proof American Eagle Coins
- American Buffalo Bullion Gold Coins
- Credit Suisse/PAMP Suisse Gold Bars / various Gold Rounds and Bars .995
IRA Approved Silver Bullion
- American Eagle Silver Coins
- Australian Koala Silver coin
- Austrian Vienna Philharmonic coins
- Australian Kookaburra Coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coins
- Mexican Libertad Silver Bullion Coins
- Chinese Silver Panda Coins
- Britannia Silver Coins(.999 Silver Britannia Coins Only)
- South African Silver Krugerrand Coin
- Proof American Eagle Silver Coins
- Various Silver Rounds and Bars .999
IRA Approved Platinum Bullion
IRA Approved Palladium Bullion
- Canadian Palladium Maple Leaf Coins
- Various Palladium Bars and Rounds .9995
InEligible Precious Metals for IRA Investing
Collectible coins or rare coins, including graded or certified coins, are not eligible for a Precious Metal IRA. The following is a list of precious metal coins that may not be invested in a Precious Metal IRA.
- Austrian Corona
- U.S. Buffalo Proof
- British Britannia (*Gold & silver Britannias minted before to 2013 are ineligible.)
- Belgian 20 Franc
- Chilean 100 Peso
- Dutch 10 Guilder
- French 20 Franc
- Hungarian 100 Korona
- Italian 20 Lira
- U.S. Liberty
- Mexican 50 Peso
- South African Krugerrand
- Swiss 20 Franc
- Collectible Coins or Rare Coins
What Does IRA Eligible Silver Mean?
What is IRA Eligible Gold?
How Do Precious Metals IRA Plans Work?
Not just any silver coin or bars will qualify for a silver IRA account. Approved silver investments must fall under a pre-approved list of eligible items as detailed above. Read IRS publications 590-A & 590-B for further details.
Just like with silver, not all gold bullion will qualify for a gold IRA account. Approved gold investments must fall under a pre-approved list (as detailed above), be pure 24-karat gold bullion bars (1 oz – 400 oz.), and secure an appropriate hallmark from a qualified refiner or assayer. Read the IRS publications 590-A & 590-B for further details.
To invest in precious metals through a self-directed IRA, you must establish a valid IRA and have cash available in the IRA. Scottsdale Bullion & Coin has simplified the process of setting up a gold and silver IRA into six easy steps. Read: How a Precious Metals IRA Works
Got Questions? Get Expert Answers! Call: 1-888-812-9892
Can’t talk on the phone right now? No problem, Live Chat With Us!